Senior Software Developer
Industry: Financial Services
Employment type: Full-time
Location: Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire
Job function: Senior Software Developer
We are looking for a capable, knowledgeable, motivated individual to assist in developing the software that supports the NetPay service proposition offered to its customers and resellers. The type of person we are looking for will have had involvement in building new applications from the ground up based on the specification and requirements although does not necessarily need to have gained their experience in a commercial environment. This role would suit graduates as well as those who are new to a commercial environment although have spent sufficient time learning their skill and building their knowledge.
- Develop the core systems that will allow customers to take advantage of NetPay services based on a Linux/UNIX based architecture.
- Contribute ideas to enhance the specification and systems during and post development.
- Required to work in an environment where the data being input into the developed system is highly confidential and will have experience in developing code that supports strong security.
- As a result of the PCI DSS compliance obligation the person we are looking for will have had some experience in documenting and recording processes and conforming to guidelines set by external “governing” organisations.
- A well-structured and project driven individual that is able to plan and set accurate delivery expectations and is used to providing regular updates to their line manager on their progress.
- Working with other development colleagues and Systems Administration to agree particular server based software/applications required to operate the software.
- Keep abreast of technology/software enhancements and how they would apply and would be used within NetPay.
- Participate in daily team meetings to discuss progress with other team members using a SCRUM methodology.
- Preferable ambition to progress in the business as it grows.
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Significant experience as a software developer in a commercial environment.
- In-depth understanding, ability to interpret and code (as required) in OO PHP and XML/JSON.
- Strong Experience with MVC frameworks (Phalcon, Laravel, Zend, Codeigniter, Smphony etc).
- Experience with REST web service development.
- Strong experience with highly secure and scalable web development.
- Experience with database design and development. Able to understand and create Entity Relationship Diagram.
- Strong experience with MySQL and able to write and optimize complex SQL queries.
- Strong experience with NoSQL database such as Mongodb, Cassandra, Redis etc.
- Experience with Unit Test.
- Experience with Message Q solutions such as Rabit MQ, Kafka, Active MQ etc.
Key Competencies and Behaviours
- Strategic Thinking – Considers the longer-term impact of day to day decisions. Considers the requirements and goals of the business when prioritising day to day work and projects.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of issues to get resolutions that benefit the business.
- Problem Solving and Analysis – Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data is required. Demonstrates good judgement in selecting methods and techniques in obtaining solutions.
- Teamwork and Collaboration – High sense of ownership and urgency with experience in working in and co-ordinating a team to get the job done and deliver upon the objectives and goals of the business.
- Customer Focus – Makes and meets internal customer commitments understanding that their requirements are what drive those of the business and keep the doors open.